Portland Waldorf School, fully accredited through AWSNA, was founded in 1982, and continues to work out of the insights of Rudolf Steiner to educate students for the whole of life. With an experienced and dedicated faculty, the school serves 285 students from Early Childhood through High School, and is active in supporting Waldorf education in the northwest. We offer a full Waldorf curriculum including eurythmy, music, handwork, woodwork, drama, outdoor education, Spanish, German, PE as well as a middle and high school athletics program.
Portland is a city with a thriving Anthroposophical community including several schools, medical clinics, a teacher training program and a branch of the Anthroposophical Society. Portland is also full of cultural opportunities, near outstanding natural areas, and only an hour and a half from the beach and Mt. Hood ski areas. Our school is located on 7 beautiful acres in Milwaukie, four miles from the heart of Portland.
Accounting Assistant, part-time
Portland Waldorf School is welcoming applications for a part-time Accounting Assistant in our Business Office.
- Accounts Payable: prepare voucher packets, enter in accounting system, route for approvals, maintain vendor files, generate canned reports, serve as administrative contact with vendors
- Reconciliations: reconcile bank accounts, subsidiary to general ledgers
- Journal Entries: prepare and enter routine journal entries on a scheduled basis, enter additional ad hoc journal entries as requested
- Accuracy in data entry and analysis; strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proficiency with standard Office software
- Minimum education: Associates Degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- Knowledge of GAAP and non-profit accounting—know your debits and credits
- Experience with Veracross or other accounting software
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration
Located in historic downtown Milwaukie, Oregon on a beautiful seven-acre campus with natural waterways, multiple gardens and play areas, Portland Waldorf School offers a dynamic combination of urban convenience with the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest. In its 35th year, PWS is both well-established and financially secure, and is the only Waldorf school in the state with a full program from preschool through high school.
This position is non-exempt with a pay rate of $15/hour, working 15-20 hours per week. Benefits include paid sick time. To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and at least three professional references to email@example.com.
Portland Waldorf School is welcoming applications for part-time Guitar Teacher in our High School for the 2018-19 school year. Successful candidates will enthusiastically and energetically engage students and will work collaboratively with other faculty and administrators to create an environment that is aligned with the school mission and program goals. This position is an integral part of the music program at our school, which offers a secure, healthy, and nurturing environment for students. We are looking for individuals dedicated to Waldorf education, with love and enthusiasm for teaching. We value confidence in representing Waldorf education to the broader community, and dedication to the whole school.
Students take guitar class as a group with skill levels ranging from beginner to advanced in the same class. Class size is roughly 15 students.
Job duties include:
- Inspire student enthusiasm for playing music.
- Write syllabus that clarifies goals of class, expectation in class and grading criteria.
- Assess students’ abilities at the start of the year.
- Identify and monitor individualized learning goals for each student to ensure their continued growth as a musician, and tie those goals to the assessment of each student.
- Teach a wide range of skills starting with playing from chord charts or imitation, and leading to reading music, basic music theory and improvisation.
- Identify songs that can be played by the entire group together with each skill level having a different degree of difficulty to reach (beginners strum basic chords, advanced students do the more complex picking, etc.).
- Facilitate students breaking into smaller ensembles of at least two people to select their own song to learn. Help them select songs that are appropriately challenging and appropriate in length and language for a school concert.
- Provide chord charts and/or sheet music for all songs that you teach to the entire group and songs selected by the small ensembles.
- Help with concert set up, staging and take down.
Class times are:
- Two 45 minute classes per week (this year meets Monday/Friday)
- Two concerts per year (usually January/May)
Grading: A calculated grade and personalized comment for each student are due at the end of each term – in January and once in May.
Portland Waldorf School was founded in 1982 and is fully accredited through AWSNA. We serve about 300 students in Early Childhood through 12th grade on a beautiful seven-acre campus. We offer a full Waldorf curriculum including Music, Handwork, Blacksmith and Woodwork, Drama, Living Lab, Outdoor Education, Spanish, German, Foreign Exchange program, Eurythmy, Games/PE, as well as a middle and high school Athletics Program.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position with a pay rate of $35.70/hour. The position follows the school year, starting in September and ending when school is out in June. Benefits offered include paid sick time. Please send resume, letter of interest, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portland Waldorf School is accepting applications for Substitute Teachers in all sections of the school, including Early Childhood, Aftercare, Grades main lesson, Grades Subjects, High School main lesson, and High School Specialty. Bachelor’s Degree required; Preferred candidates have received a Waldorf Teacher training certificate from an AWSNA-accredited training facility or a State teaching license. Once approved, you will need to complete a background check. Other licensing requirements must also be met for Early Childhood and Aftercare substitutes. Pay rates vary depending on position. Please submit your letter of interest and resume to: email@example.com.
Woodwork and Blacksmith Substitute Teachers
Portland Waldorf School is accepting applications for Woodworking and Blacksmithing Substitute Teachers for the Middle School and High School sections. Experience in Woodworking or Blacksmithing required. Preferred candidates have received a Waldorf Teacher training certificate from an AWSNA-accredited training facility or a State teaching license. Once approved, you will need to complete a background check. This is an hourly, non-exempt position with a pay rate of $35.70/hour. Please submit your letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.